Mushrooms are a wonderful fall treat. Their taste and texture are earthy and burst with flavor. I could eat them in just about every dish, but my toddler is a little pickier when it comes to presentations. Here’s a kid-friendly way to get mushrooms on the dinner table at Halloween while keeping adult palates hungry for more, as well.
1 pkg baby Portobello or button mushrooms
1 cup breadcrumbs or stuffing mix
A pinch each of salt, sage, and pepper
1 cup of water
2 T. vegan margarine
Favorite vegan cheese (I used Daiya jack cheese)
1. Clean mushrooms and remove stems.
2. Lightly rub each mushroom with olive oil and place on a baking sheet.
3. Heat butter and water in a microwave safe bowl for about 1 minute.
4. While water heats, combine breadcrumbs and seasoning in another bowl.
5. Add hot water to breadcrumbs until desired consistency is reached.
6. Place stuffing mix into each mushroom.
7. Top stuffing with a small amount of vegan cheese.
8. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and place an olive slice in the middle of each mushroom to create an eyeball.
10. Continue cooking for about five minutes.
You could serve with marinara, but these mushrooms are also yummy all on their own. They also make a great party appetizer for both vegans and those who haven’t yet transitioned to a more compassionate lifestyle.