These cupcakes have a kick-butt flavor and texture, and I’m telling you right now these will be your new staple cupcake—for the Fall anyway!
Makes 24 regular-sized cupcakes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (let’s sneak a little goodness in here!)
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
1 Tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 flaxseed “eggs” (2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed and 3 Tablespoons water – let it sit for 10 min or whip in a blender)
1/2 cup vegan butter (softened)
3/4 cup plant milk
1 cup pumpkin puree
Cream Cheese Frosting
8 ounces vegan cream cheese (we dig Tofutti)
1/4 cup butter
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar (you want it a bit runnier than regular frosting, but still thick)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix your flaxseed “egg” mixture.
2. Mix together dry cupcake ingredients.
3. Fold wet ingredients into dry.
4. Blend with a hand mixer for 2 minutes. Batter should be a little fluffier than regular cake batter.
5. Fill cupcake wrappers in muffin tin 1/2 full.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. While the cupcakes are baking, blend together the icing ingredients and set in the fridge so it can stiffen some.
8. Let cupcakes cool and then drop on some glaze.
Share with friends, family, and lucky co-workers!
This recipe originally appeared on Amanda’s blog, Chubby Vegan Mom.