This mac and cheese is loaded with vegan cheesiness and old fashioned comfort.
1 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup plain vegan yogurt
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
10 oz. cooked whole wheat elbow pasta
1 wedge Daiya cheddar cheese
1 T. onion powder
1 T. garlic powder
1 cup vegan bacon bits
Handful of fresh chives, minced
Breadcrumbs or Panko for the crunchy top
1. In a small saucepan, boil the cashews on high heat for 15-20 minutes. (You just want enough water to keep them submerged.)
2. In another saucepan, boil your pasta according to the packaging instructions.
3. Once the cashews are cooked, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
4. Toss cashews, yogurt, almond milk, nutritional yeast, onion powder, and garlic powder into a food processor. Blend until super creamy (it should kind of look like cake batter).
5. In a medium bowl, stir your nut “cheese” blend into your pasta.
6. Take your wedge of Daiya and cut into small chunks (about the size of a dime). Stir these cubes into the cashew pasta mix.
7. Stir in chives and bacon bits. Scoop into a casserole dish (mine was 1.5 quarts) and bake for 20 minutes.
8. Take out of the oven and top with breadcrumbs or panko and vegan bacon bits. Bake for 10 more minutes.
This recipe originally appeared on Amanda’s blog, Chubby Vegan Mom.
Posted in Dinner, Entrees, Recipes