I loved pizza burgers back in the day, and here is my version now. Vegan pizza burgers—a little Italian seasoning, fresh tomato sauce, and a creamy cashew topping. Doesn’t the sprinkle of parsley make it look fancy?! Lunch is served!
Makes 4 burgers
1 1/4 cups cooked cannellini beans (equals a can)
1 small onion
1/2 leek, white part only
2 cloves of garlic
1 Tbs Italian seasoning
1 Tbs nutritional yeast
Handful of fresh parsley + extra for garnish
1/4 cup quinoa flakes
Salt, a pinch
1. Dice the onion and leek; mince the garlic or use a garlic press.
2. Use water or oil to sauté the onions, leeks, and garlic until just soft.
3. Add the mixture to the food processor along with the beans, seasoning, nutritional yeast, fresh parsley, quinoa flakes, and a pinch of salt. Process until combined.
4. Form into burgers and either bake or cook in a non-stick skillet with a little oil until browned on both sides and heated through.
1 cup raw cashews
3/4 cup filtered water
Salt, a pinch
1/2 tsp each onion and garlic powder, optional
Directions: Place the cashews into the blender and add water and seasonings, if using. Let it rip until smooth.
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup polenta
Baking dish or brownie pan
1. Make the polenta by boiling the water. Add the polenta and stir. Lower the heat and simmer until the water is absorbed and the polenta pulls away from the side of the pot.
2. Turn out into a baking dish and press flat. Let sit for 10 minutes and, using a circle cutter, cut out circles about as big as the burger.
Tip: Mash the leftover polenta and kind of refluff it with a fork. Reheat it later for more polenta deliciousness.
Assembling the Burgers
1. Heat up about 1/2 cup of homemade or store bought tomato sauce.
2. Place a polenta round on a plate.
3. Top with a burger and add some sauce.
4. Drizzle with cashew cream.
5. Sprinkle with chopped parsley for garnish.
This recipe originally appeared on Lisa’s blog.
Posted in Dinner, Entrees, Lunch, Recipes