By Carly Sitner
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled, medium dice
2 yellow/black plantains, medium dice
3 T. coconut oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup organic light brown sugar, packed
½ cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
½ t. cinnamon
¼ t. ground ginger or minced crystalized ginger
¼ t. salt
½ cup vegan butter, cold and cubed
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the sweet potato and plantains in a pot of cold, lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are tender and drain.
3. Mash with coconut oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread the mash into a 9×13 casserole dish.
4. Combine the flour, sugar, pecans, cinnamon, ginger, and salt in a medium bowl.
5. Cut in the butter and mix with your hands or forks until the butter is pea sized and the mixture is clumpy and moist.
6. Top the potato mixture with the crumble and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
This recipe originally appeared on Carly’s blog, A Profound Hatred of Meat.